Alert: Holiday Security awareness
During the holiday season, it is important to remain vigilant to the threats posed by transnational terrorist organizations and individuals inspired by violent extremist ideology throughout Europe. Violent extremists continue to focus on tourist locations, shopping malls, airports, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, transportation hubs, and other soft targets.
As a reminder, criminal activity often increases during this time of the year. Avoid carrying large amounts of cash, do not leave packages and gifts in unattended vehicles, and always secure your residence. If using credit cards, be cognizant that financial fraud is also a concern so check your statements regularly to verify charges.
Please follow good security practices at home and while traveling. As a general reminder, if you need emergency Irish medical or police support, dial 1-1-2.
Actions to Take:
· Exercise additional vigilance at holiday festivals and events, places of worship, and locations with large crowds.
· Be aware of your surroundings.
· Heed instructions and view updates from Irish police and government authorities.
· Review your personal security plans.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· U.S. Embassy Dublin, Ireland
· +353 1 668-8777
· State Department – Consular Affairs
· 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates