An official website of the United States government

Applying for a passport with a gender change
December 7, 2022

Applicants for a regular U.S. passport book who request a different gender than that listed in the sex field on their previous passport, other evidence of citizenship, or evidence of identity may self-designate their gender marker on the application. We no longer require medical documentation to change the gender marker on your U.S. passport. At this time, you can select male (M), female (F), or unspecified or another gender identity (X) as your gender marker if you are applying for a U.S. passport book.

To change the gender marker on your passport you can do so through the application process that you would be eligible to use to renew your U.S. passport. Please refer to our passport renewal page, to determine which renewal instructions apply to you.

Security at the Embassy

DO NOT BRING ELECTRONICS TO YOUR U.S. EMBASSY APPOINTMENT.  Please note that you cannot enter Embassy property with any electronics.  This includes laptops, tablets, memory cards, flash drives, or other peripherals.  If you have any of these items in your possession, you will be asked to find a place to store them away from the Embassy or to return on another day.  The Embassy has small lockers which can accommodate a cell phone.  No other electronics may be placed in these lockers.