If you do not qualify to complete the online application for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (eCRBA) you must email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions on how to schedule an appointment.
Email subject line should read “Childs last name, child’s first name: CRBA paper application.” Please include the reason that you cannot use the eCRBA system.
During the CRBA appointment, you will apply for the CRBA, U.S. passport and social security number for your child at the same time. Your child and both parents must be present at the Embassy appointment. If the non-U.S. citizen parent is unable to attend, they can submit their notarized consent for the issuance of the child’s U.S. passport as detailed in point number 5 on the child’s passport renewal webpage.
Please also review the specific transmission requirements to ensure that you have the ability to transmit citizenship to your child. If you arrive for an appointment with incomplete applications or without submitting the required documents as directed when you email email@example.com, your appointment will be cancelled and rescheduled for another day.
For adopted children, the process of obtaining citizenship is not completed by the U.S. Department of State. Please see the following procedures from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service: http://travel.state.gov/content/adoptionsabroad/en/us-visa-for-your-child/acquiring-us-citizenship-for-your-child.html
Consular Report of Birth Abroad:
- Application form DS-2029
- Original Child’s Birth Certificate
- Original Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
- Original Divorce certificate (if applicable)
- Original Parents valid ID
- Evidence of transmitting parent’s citizenship prior to child’s birth: Original U.S. Birth certificate, Naturalization certificate or U.S. passport issued prior to birth:
- Proof of physical presence prior to child’s birth in the U.S.: This should be in chronological order. Proof can include but is not limited to, prior U.S. passports, tax records, school records (elementary, high school and/or university).
- DS-11 Application Form – Completed and NOT signed.
- SSN Affidavit – Completed and signed.
- Original Birth certificate/other legal documents showing parentage (as listed): must show parents names and translations if necessary. If applicable, legal documents such as adoption decree/court order establishing custody or guardianship may be required. If the parent(s)’ and/or guardian(s)’ name(s) is/are different to those listed on these documents, evidence of legal name change is required. – Photocopy Required
- Identification of parent(s) and or guardian(s): Valid government issued photo I.D. (passport/driver’s license/military etc.) – Photocopy Required
- Personal appearance of parent(s)/guardian(s): If both parents are listed on the birth certificate, they must appear at the appointment at the Embassy together and sign the passport application form in the presence of the Consular Officer. In the event that one parent is unable to attend, a notarized DS-3053 consent form and a copy of the valid government issued photo identification which the non-appearing parent presents to the Notary is required. In Ireland, the consent form must be notarized by a notary listed on The Faculty of Notaries Public in Ireland. If the non-appearing parent is in the United States, the consent form must be notarized by a qualified notary public. If the non-appearing parent is residing outside of the U.S. or Ireland, the consent form must be notarized at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate in that country (this is a no-fee service). The DS-3053 must have been completed within 90 days of your child’s passport renewal appointment. One parent may submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply by submitting your child’s original birth certificate/Consular Report of Birth Abroad/Adoption Decree/Court Order (including translations if necessary) listing applying parent only. In the event that a parent listed on your child’s birth certificate has passed, an original death certificate of the deceased parent must be submitted.
- Photograph 2X2 inches in size, attached to DS-11 application: no glasses allowed. This is larger than an Irish Passport photograph and any pharmacy should be able to print this for you. Requirements can be found here.
- Self-Addressed A4 Envelope with €10 Stamp affixed.
- Click here for Passport Fees. No expedited service is available outside of the U.S., please do not submit the additional fee for this service. Personal checks are not accepted.
Social Security Number Application:
- SS-5 Application Form – Completed and signed.
- Child’s Birth Certificate– photocopy required.
- Signatory parents Valid ID – photocopy required.
Security at the Embassy
DO NOT BRING ELECTRONICS TO YOUR U.S. EMBASSY APPOINTMENT. Please note that you cannot enter Embassy property with any electronics. This includes laptops, tablets, memory cards, flash drives, or other peripherals. If you have any of these items in your possession, you will be asked to find a place to store them away from the Embassy or to return on another day. The Embassy has small lockers which can accommodate a cell phone. No other electronics may be placed in these lockers.