An official website of the United States government

Replacing an Emergency Passport
March 2, 2022

Replacement of an Emergency Limited Passport

The following instructions apply if you were issued an emergency, limited-validity passport at a U.S Embassy or Consulate because you had urgent need of travel, and you are renewing it within 12 months of issuance.  You should apply to replace this limited validity passport for a full-validity passport as soon as possible.  If you are renewing within 12 months of the limited validity passport issuance date, then you can renew by mail, and there is no fee for routine processing of your application.  This applies to minor (under 16 years) as well as adult applicants.

If your emergency, limited-validity passport was issued over 12 months ago, please follow the instructions for your circumstances on our main passport webpage. Appropriate fees apply.

Please note that two consecutive emergency passports cannot be issued and that an application for a full-validity passport takes approximately 3-4 weeks to process.

You must submit the following to replace your emergency limited validity passport:

  1. DS-5504 passport application form:  you can fill the form out electronically via the link, then please print, sign and date the form.  This form cannot be submitted online. Alternatively, a printable PDF version is available here (92KB), which you can print and fill out by hand.  Forms must be printed one sideddo not use correction fluid as this invalidates the application.  Please disregard the instructions on the form as they are for U.S. citizens applying to renew a passport within the United States.  Please only follow the instructions on this website.  Effective October 1, 2016, a Social Security number (SSN) will be required for all passport applications:
    • If you have previously been issued an SSN but cannot find your number, please complete and submit an SS-5 application form with your mail in passport application.  You will receive a replacement social security card in the mail some weeks after your passport.
    • If you were never issued a U.S. social security number, and would like to apply for one, you you must apply directly at the Embassy with the SS-5 application form.  You may need to bring your original birth certificate.  You can contact the Federal Benefits Unit here.  Please note that a social security application and passport application can be submitted at the same passport appointment.
  2. Submit emergency passport
  3. One 2″x 2″ U.S. passport size photo: photo must have clear white background, no shadows, no eye glasses to be worn.  Irish passport sized photos not accepted, the U.S. sized photos are a larger size – 2 inches x 2 inches.  You can find all passport photo requirements here.
  4. Pre-paid, self-addressed envelope for the return of your passport:  Please affix a €10.00 stamp to the envelope for the trackable return of your passport by Express Post.  Envelope size A5 if possible.  If you are renewing more than one family member’s passport at the same time, we can return up to two passports in one envelope (restricted to two passports due to weight).

Please send your complete application to the following address:

U.S. Embassy Dublin
American Citizen Services
Passport Unit
42 Elgin Road

Dublin 4


If you are attending an appoint in person (by scheduling an appointment online here) please review the following security information:

DO NOT BRING ELECTRONICS TO YOUR U.S. EMBASSY APPOINTMENT.  Please note that you cannot enter Embassy property with any electronics.  This includes laptops, tablets, memory cards, flash drives, or other peripherals.  If you have any of these items in your possession, you will be asked to find a place to store them away from the Embassy or to return on another day.  The Embassy has small lockers which can accommodate a cell phone.  No other electronics may be placed in these lockers.