Replacement of an Emergency Limited Passport
The following instructions apply if you (adult or minor) were issued an emergency, limited-validity passport at a U.S Embassy or Consulate because you had urgent need of travel, and you are renewing it within 12 months of issuance. You should apply to replace this limited validity passport for a full-validity passport as soon as possible.
Please note that two consecutive emergency passports cannot be issued and that an application for a full-validity passport takes approximately 3-4 weeks to process.
There is no fee for this service if applying to replace your emergency passport within 12 months of the limited validity passport issuance date.
If your emergency, limited-validity passport was issued over 12 months ago, you must follow the instructions for your circumstances on our main passport webpage. For example, if the passport previous to your emergency passport was a 5-year passport issued when you were a minor you should follow the instructions that apply.
You must submit the following to replace your emergency limited validity passport:
- DS-5504 passport application form: Complete, then please print, sign and date the form. This form cannot be submitted online. Alternatively, a printable PDF version is available here (92KB), which you can print and fill out by hand. Forms must be printed one sided, do not use correction fluid as this invalidates the application. Please disregard the instructions on the form as they are for U.S. citizens applying to renew a passport within the United States. Please only follow the instructions on this website.
- If you have previously been issued a Social Security Number (SSN) but do not know your number, please visit the Federal Benefits Unit website here to apply for a replacement Social Security card. Please note that your application cannot be processed until you have provided your SSN to the Embassy. To contact the Federal Benefit Unit, please complete their contact form.
- If you were never issued a U.S. social security number, you will be asked to sign an affidavit to this effect at the Embassy attesting to your lack of an SSN. You can apply for your social security number using SS-5 application form at your passport appointment.
- Submit emergency/limited passport.
- One 2″x 2″ U.S. passport size photo (note this is different from the Irish passport photo size): No glasses are permitted. Must be taken within six months. Most large pharmacies in Ireland provide this service. Please check all passport photo requirements here.
- Pre-paid, self-addressed envelope for the return of your passport: Please affix a €10.00 stamp to an A5 envelope for the trackable return of your passport. If you are renewing more than one family member’s passport at the same time, we can return up to two passports in one envelope (restricted to two passports due to weight).
Please send your complete application to the following address:
U.S. Embassy Dublin
American Citizen Services
42 Elgin Road
If you are attending an appoint in person (by scheduling an appointment online here) please review the following security information:
DO NOT BRING ELECTRONICS TO YOUR U.S. EMBASSY APPOINTMENT. Please note that you cannot enter Embassy property with any electronics. This includes laptops, tablets, memory cards, flash drives, or other peripherals. If you have any of these items in your possession, you will be asked to find a place to store them away from the Embassy or to return on another day. The Embassy has small lockers which can accommodate a cell phone. No other electronics may be placed in these lockers.