An official website of the United States government

FAQ’s for U.S. Citizens during COVID-19
June 14, 2022

Frequently Asked Questions for U.S. Citizens

If you are a U.S. citizen living or traveling outside of the U.S. and you have not done so, please enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).  The Embassy will then be able to contact you with updated information in case of an emergency.

I am in the United States and I want to travel to Ireland. What are the requirements? 

From Sunday 6 March 2022, travelers to Ireland are not required to complete a COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form, show proof of vaccination, proof of recovery or a negative PCR test result upon arrival.  There are no post-arrival testing or quarantine requirements for travelers to Ireland.  For further information you can visit gov.ie – Current rules for travelling to Ireland (www.gov.ie)

Any individual that develops COVID-19 symptoms while in Ireland should follow the HSE guidance in relation to isolation and undertaking antigen or PCR testing as appropriate, Positive COVID-19 PCR test result – HSE.ie.

I am a U.S. citizen in Ireland. Can I travel to the United States? 

Effective 12:01 a.m. EDT on June 12, 2022, the CDC will no longer order air passengers to show a negative COVID-19 test result, or show documentation of recovery from COVID-19, prior to boarding a flight to the United States.  Of note, CDC’s Order requiring proof of vaccination for non-U.S. citizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is still in effect.  For more information see Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers.

I am travelling Internationally how do I find out the passport and other information for the country I am visiting?

If you are travelling internationally on a U.S. passport you should visit travel.state.gov for the up to date requirements of the country you are travelling to.

How can I renew my U.S. passport?

We continue to process mail-in renewal passport applications and strongly encourage eligible U.S. citizens to renew their U.S. passport by mail, as we cannot currently offer routine, in-person appointments to applicants who are eligible to renew by mail.

Please note U.S. passports can be renewed any time before or after they expire, and a U.S. passport is valid for travel to the United States until the day it expires.  Further details on applying for a U.S. passport, including emergency appointments, are available on our Passport Services page.

What should I do if my passport is expired/visa pages are full and I have immediate travel?

Further details on applying for a U.S. passport, including emergency appointments, are available on our Passport Services page.

Can I apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)?

Yes. Details on applying for a CRBA are available on our Citizenship Services page.

My child is a minor/I am applying for my first adult passport; can I renew their/my passport through the mail?

No. Minor passport renewals and first adult passport renewals must be done in person.  Further details on applying for a U.S. passport are available on our Passport Services page.

Is the Embassy providing notarial services? How can I get documents notarized?

Notarial appointments at the U.S. Embassy in Dublin are opened four to six weeks in advance. Appointments must be scheduled through our online booking system and cannot be requested by email.  If we are not able to accommodate you as soon as you require, you may wish to consider using an Irish Notary Public.  To find a Notary Public in Ireland, please visit the Faculty of Notaries Public in Ireland website here. For further details please see our Notarial Services page.

Can the Embassy help me get my COVID-19 relief payments?

The Embassy does not have a role in administering the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act), which is operated by the U.S. Department of the Treasury through the IRS.  More information regarding CARES checks, deposits, and tax credits is available here on the IRS website. Contact information for the IRS, if required, can be found here.

I am a dual U.S.-Irish citizen. Can I travel to the United States using my Irish passport?

No.  According to Section 215 of the U.S Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185) it is illegal for a U.S. citizen to enter or leave the United States on anything other than a U.S. passport.  This applies to dual citizens as well, meaning that persons holding e.g., both Irish and U.S. citizenships MUST enter and leave the United States on a valid U.S. passport; they may NOT enter/leave the United States on an Irish/foreign passport.  This applies to children as well as adults.

I am a U.S. citizen and I have a question about my non-U.S. citizen family member’s visa or travel to the United States.

The American Citizen services Unit is not able to answer queries about visas and travel for non – U.S citizens.  Please visit the Embassy’s page for U.S. Visa and Travel FAQs, and travel.state.gov for up-to-date information.  Additional questions pertaining to immigrant visas can be directed to DublinIV@state.gov, and non-immigrant visa-related queries can be directed to USVisaDublin@state.gov.  These e-mail inboxes are monitored regularly by Embassy staff during normal business hours.

The American Citizen Services Unit is not able to answer queries about visas and travel for non-U.S. citizens.

How can I replace a U.S. birth certificate?

Contact the vital records office in the state where you were born to get a copy of your birth certificate.  Follow the instructions for requesting copies and paying fees.  If you need a copy fast, ask about expedited service or shipping when you place your order.

How can I renew my U.S. driver’s license?

The Embassy does not have a role in issuing or renewing U.S. driver’s licenses.  Check with the Motor Vehicle authority in the U.S. state or territory where your license was issued.

How can I have a U.S. document apostilled? 

The U.S. Embassy Dublin cannot complete Apostilles on U.S. issued certificates.  The Secretary of State offices in each state have control of vital record documents, please contact your State’s Secretary of State office for instructions on how to get an Apostille.

Can I apply for citizenship for my children through a grandparent?

A child under age 18 who has a U.S. citizen grandparent who meets the physical presence requirements may qualify for expeditious naturalization under the Immigration and Nationality Act.  Although not entitled to U.S. citizenship at birth, the child can, through this process, become a U.S. citizen by naturalization without first having to take up residence in the United States.  It is, however, necessary for the child to travel to the United States for the naturalization, and all applications and documentation must be submitted and approved beforehand.  This procedure must be done through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and is not handled by the U.S. Embassy Dublin.  The process can take from six months to a year or more.  For more information please visit our Expeditious Naturalization webpage.