An official website of the United States government

Frequently Asked Questions
January 20, 2023

Retirement, Medicare and Disability Benefits

Applying for Retirement, Medicare and Disability Benefits

Change Direct Deposit, Bank Info or Address

How Do I Enroll in Direct Deposit or Change my Bank Information?

The U.S. Treasury Department announced the mandatory direct deposit of pensions into bank accounts effective immediately.

1)   If you want to enroll in Direct Deposit, you must send us the IBAN and BIC code. For faster service, send this information using one of the following forms:

Ireland:  SSA-1199-OP98

Netherlands: SSA-1199-OP17

Belgium: SSA-1199-OP6

Luxembourg: SSA-1199-OP29

2)   If you have a bank in the U.S., you must provide the U.S. bank Routing Transit Number, your bank account number, and specify the type of the account (Checking or Savings).  For faster service, send this information using our online Inquiry Form: FBU Inquiry Form – U.S. Mission Ireland (usembassy.gov)


How Do I Report a Change of Address?

For faster service, send this information by using our online inquiry form: FBU Inquiry Form – U.S. Mission Ireland (usembassy.gov)

If you reside outside the U.S. for over 3 months, you must change your address to the foreign address.

If you are not a US Citizen and are moving from the U.S. to an overseas location, you must complete and sign a form SSA-21, which you can download at http://www.ssa.gov/online/ssa-21.pdf  .

This Form must be submitted to our office:

Federal Benefits Unit
U.S. Embassy
42 Elgin Road
D04 TP03

Or by email to:


How do I correct the address on my Social Security Statement which I receive each year?

Until you apply for Social Security benefit payments, the Social Security Administration do not keep your current address on record. When we mail your automatic Social Security Statement to you, we use the address provided to us by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Your address will be automatically updated when you file your next U.S. Tax Return or you can correct the address that IRS has on file by completing Form 8822 (PDF 244 KB) and mailing it to IRS.

Report a Death of a Beneficiary Receiving Payments

Report the death as soon as possible, there may be benefits due to survivors, and this will prevent possible overpayments which must be repaid.  Any payments sent the month after the beneficiary’s death must be returned to Social Security. If you do not have a death certificate yet, do not wait to report a death of a beneficiary receiving payments.

For faster service, send this information by using our online Report of Death Form Report of Death Form – U.S. Mission Ireland (usembassy.gov)

Report a Non-Receipt of Payment

You must wait until after the 25th of the month to report non-receipt of paper checks.

For faster service, send this information by using our online form: FBU Inquiry Form – U.S. Mission Ireland (usembassy.gov)

Social Security Earnings Records/Statements

How Do I Request a Social Security Statement?

Obtain your Social Security Statement online at http://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/ if you have a U.S., APO, DPO, or FPO address.  The system does not support foreign addresses.

I do not have access to mySocialSecurity.  How do I obtain my Social Security Statement?

Customers that do not have access to mySocialSecurity (usually because they do not have a U.S. address that can be verified by credit reporting bureaus) may request their Social Security Statement using the electronic version of Form SSA-7004 Social Security Forms | Social Security Administration (ssa.gov). The completed form must be mailed to:

Social Security Administration
Wilkes Barre Data Operations Center
P.O. Box 7004
Wilkes Barre, PA 18767-7004, USA

Please allow up to four months to receive a response to the written request for a Social Security Statement.


How Do I Obtain a Certified Detailed Earnings Record?

Instructions and updated fees are located at http://www.ssa.gov/online/ssa-7050.html .

Complete for Form SSA-7050-F4 http://www.ssa.gov/online/ssa-7050.pdf  attach payment and mail to Social Security as per instructions.

Allow up to four to six months to receive a response.

Obtaining Proof of Last Year's Social Security Income or 1099/1042s for Tax and Other Purposes

We provide two types of income proof:

  1. The benefit verification letter which shows your monthly benefit amount. You can get your benefit verification letter online (http://www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount/) if you have a U.S. mailing address or a FPO, APO, or DPO mailing address. The system does not support foreign addresses.

For those with a foreign address, you can request a benefit verification letter by using our online Inquiry Form FBU Inquiry Form – U.S. Mission Ireland (usembassy.gov)


  1. The SSA-1099/1042 shows your annual income for income tax purposes. The forms are mailed by SSA on January 31 each year. You can request an SSA-1099 online (KA-01723  · FAQ | SSA)