An official website of the United States government

First Passport
March 2, 2022

First time applicants – no prior registration as a U.S. Citizen

If you are aged 18 or over and have never been documented as a U.S. citizen by your parent(s), you must apply for your first U.S. passport in person. Each applicant must have their own appointment scheduled via our online appointment system.  You are required to make the appointment under the selection of “Report the birth abroad of a child of a U.S. citizen and/or apply for the child’s first passport, Report of Birth and Social Security Number.”

You must review the following link for the Transmission Requirements for U.S. Citizenship and Physical Presence. This link will explain the requirements for a parent to transmit citizenship to you. Please ensure your parent has the required physical presence before beginning this process.

Please carefully read the information below; this explains in detail all the documents you must bring to your appointment.

Application Forms

  1. DS-11 Passport application form : Complete, print and bring it to your appointment.  Do not sign form until the Consular Officer instructs you to do so at your appointment.  This form cannot be submitted online.  Alternatively, a printable PDF version is available here  (101KB), which you can print and fill out by hand.  Forms must be printed one sideddo not use correction fluid as this invalidates the application.  Please disregard the instructions on the form as they are for U.S. citizens applying to renew a passport within the United States.  Please only follow the instructions on this website.
  2. DS-5507 Affidavit of Physical Presence or Residence, Parentage and Support : this form is to be filled out by the U.S. citizen parent of the applicant.  If this parent is deceased, it may be completed by the applicant, to the best of their knowledge.  Complete, print and bring it to your appointment.  This form cannot be submitted online.  Forms must be printed one sideddo not use correction fluid as this invalidates the application. Your U.S. citizen parent should accompany you to the Embassy to sign the affidavit under oath. If your parent is in the United States, the affidavit can be signed before a notary public and must be accompanied by a notarized copy of your parent’s passport or driver’s license.
  3. SS-5 application form: (132KB) Social Security application.  Please complete, print, and bring this form to your appointment.
    • Social Security Cards will be received four to six weeks after the CRBA and passport.

Required Documents

  1. Birth certificate: Original or certified copy of your long-form birth certificate issued by the appropriate governmental authority, showing your full name, date and place of birth, parents’ information, filing and issue date.
  2. Evidence of U.S. Citizenship of the Parent(s): their U.S. Passport or original U.S. Certificate of Naturalization/Certificate of Citizenship or their U.S. Birth certificate or their Consular Report of Birth Abroad.  Further evidence may be required to establish that your parent was a U.S. citizen at the time of your birth if his/her claim to U.S. citizenship has not been previously established.
  3. Evidence of Parent’s Marriage: (if applicable) original or certified copy of your parents’ marriage certificate issued by the appropriate governmental authority. Religious records are not acceptable.
  4. Evidence of Termination of your Parent’s Previous Marriages: (if applicable) original or certified copy of divorce decree/death certificate etc.
  5. Evidence of Change of Name:  If you and/or your parents have changed names through marriage, court order, etc., submit an original or certified copy of the relevant documents.
  6. Evidence of Physical Presence in the United States of U.S. Citizen Parent(s): documentary evidence of periods of physical presence in the United States of your U.S. citizen parent(s) prior to your birth, including periods of physical presence outside the United States when the parent served in the U.S. armed forces or employed by other U.S. government agencies (if applicable). Please consult the Table of Transmission Requirements for physical presence requirements applicable at the time of your birth.
  7. Your Identifying Documents:  Your current and expired foreign passports. It may also be necessary for your mother or father to accompany you to the Embassy to identify you. If your parents are unable to attend, you should submit a progression of identifying documents of yourself from childhood to the present (e.g. medical records, baptism certificate, school year books, student I.D. card, old passports, old driver’s license, etc.).
  8. Evidence of Parentage and/or Legitimization:  credible and substantial evidence of blood relationship between yourself and your U.S. parent(s) must be submitted with your application.  If you were born out-of-wedlock, please consult the Table of Transmission Requirements for the legitimization laws that may be applicable at the time of your birth.
  9. If Born Out-of-Wedlock to a U.S. Citizen Father:  If you were born between January 13, 1941 and December 24, 1952 and your father was serving in the U.S. military abroad, you may be required to submit your father’s Honorable Discharge papers as well as sworn statements from mother’s and father’s family regarding the circumstances surrounding your birth. Family photographs, particularly those that show a resemblance to your father’s family, should also be submitted.
  10. One 2″x 2″ U.S. passport size photo (note this is different from the Irish passport photo size):  No glasses are permitted. Most large pharmacies in Ireland provide this service. Please check all passport photo requirements here.
  11. Click here for Passport Fees: Payable by card at your appointment. Both the physical signed card and card holder must be present. Cash is not accepted.
  12. Pre-paid, self-addressed envelope for the return of your passport:  Please affix a €10.00 stamp to an A5 envelope for the trackable return of your passport. If you are renewing more than one family member’s passport at the same time, we can return up to two passports in one envelope (restricted to two passports due to weight).

Security at the Embassy

DO NOT BRING ELECTRONICS TO YOUR U.S. EMBASSY APPOINTMENT.  Please note that you cannot enter Embassy property with any electronics.  This includes laptops, tablets, memory cards, flash drives, or other peripherals.  If you have any of these items in your possession, you will be asked to find a place to store them away from the Embassy or to return on another day.  The Embassy has small lockers which can accommodate a cell phone.  No other electronics may be placed in these lockers.