Event: The Government of Ireland has placed the entire country on Level 5 of its five-level plan for “Living with COVID-19” effective from midnight on Wednesday, December 30, through at least Sunday, January 31. The Level 5 lockdown restricts domestic travel to within 5 kilometers of one’s home with exceptions only for essential work, medical appointments, shopping for food, and other limited circumstances. Visits to one’s home or outdoor garden by members of another household are prohibited.
Additional Level 5 restrictions include: hotels, guesthouses, and B&Bs can provide services only to persons who are guests of those hotels or similar accommodation on December 30, until the date of their departure; gyms, leisure centers and swimming pools are closed; all non-essential retail and personal services must close; public transport will be operating at 25 percent capacity and restricted to those providing essential services; school transport is unaffected, but the reopening of schools following the winter break has been pushed out to January 11, 2021. Face coverings must be worn on public transport and at essential retail stores that remain open. The full details of the Level 5 restrictions are available here.
Actions to Take:
- Abide by the Government of Ireland COVID-19 health guidelines and restrictions
- Monitor the Government of Ireland’s COVID-19 information page available via gov.iefor details of the latest restrictions and for future updates
- Monitor local media
- Visit the CDCTravelers Health Page
- U.S. Embassy Dublin, Ireland
- +353 1 668-8777
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ireland Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow the State Department on Facebookand Twitter