An official website of the United States government

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
November 22, 2023


An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is assigned by the Internal Revenue Service to individuals involved in a transaction which may be a taxable event in the United States, who are ineligible to receive a U.S. Social Security Number. It is not valid for personal identification, does not entitle the individual to work in the U.S. or to receive U.S. Social Security benefits.

Important Information

U.S. Embassies and Consulates are able to certify copies of foreign passports in relation to ITIN applications, but only for non-resident aliens applying for ITINs for the purpose of claiming tax treaty benefits (i.e. those applicants who are ticking “a” and “h” on the W-7 form). If you are applying for an ITIN for any other purpose, you will need to submit original documents, or apply from within the United States using an IRS ITIN Acceptance Agent.

For further clarification or information, Obtaining an ITIN from Abroad | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov).

Certifying your passport through the U.S. Embassy

These instructions are for applicants who require a certified copy of their passport by the U.S. Embassy to support their application for an ITIN (Form W-7).

The applicant must schedule a notary appointment to come to the U.S. Embassy and bring the following:

  • Valid passport (Note: we cannot certify any other identity documents, such as drivers’ licenses)
  • Notary fees apply and can be found on our fee page.