Requesting Irish Civil Documents
Requests for Irish civil documents should be made directly to the:
General Register Office
Tel: +353 (0) 90 6632900
LoCall: 1890 252076
Fax: +353 (0) 90 6632999
The following facts should be typed or printed clearly when a request is made by mail:
- Full name of person as given on birth, death or marriage record.
- Sex and race.
- Parents’ names, including maiden name of mother.
- Month, day and year of the birth, marriage or death.
- Place of birth, marriage or death (city, town or county).
- Relationship to person whose record is on file.
Apostilles/Authentications for Irish Documents
In March 1999, the Consular Section of the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs assumed responsibility for the lawful and official certification of documents intended for use or presentation in the United States. The Department of Foreign Affairs will apply a Seal of Apostille or appropriate certificate as provided in Article 3 of the Convention. Documents affected include Irish public records, such as birth, death and marriage certificates, probate documents, and all documents issued by Court officials, the Patent Office and Companies Registration Office, etc.
Please visit the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs webpage for Apostille/Authentications information:
The American Embassy can not provide this service