Renewal of a child's passport under the age of 16
Each minor child must appear at the Embassy in person with both parents (so they can consent to the issuance of their child’s passport) and provide the required documentation listed below. If one/both parent(s) are unable to attend, please refer to #5 below. You must book an appointment via our online appointment system.
Please bring the following documentation to your appointment – parents: do not forget valid government issued photo I.D.:
- DS-11 Passport application form: fill the form out electronically via the link, then print and bring it to your appointment. Do not sign form until the Consular Officer instructs you to do so at your appointment. This form cannot be submitted online. Alternatively, a printable PDF version is available here (101KB), which you can print and fill out by hand. Forms must be printed one sided, do not use correction fluid as this invalidates the application. Please disregard the instructions on the form as they are for U.S. citizens applying to renew a passport within the United States. Please only follow the instructions on this website. Effective October 1, 2016, a Social Security number (SSN) will be required for all passport applications:
- If your child has previously been issued an SSN but you are unable to find the number, please complete and submit an SS-5 application form with their passport application. You will receive a replacement social security card for your child in the mail some weeks after their passport.
- If your child was never issued a U.S. social security number, and you would like to apply for one, you can do so at the time as the passport appointment. Please complete and bring an SS-5 application form. You may also need to bring your child’s birth certificate. You can contact the Federal Benefits Unit here.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship of your child: Full validity (five-year) U.S. passport; or original/certified copy of U.S. Birth Certificate; or U.S. Certification of Consular Report of Birth Abroad/ Certificate of citizenship / Certificate of naturalization
- Original Birth certificate/other legal documents showing parentage (as listed): must show parents names and translations if necessary. If applicable, legal documents such as adoption decree/court order establishing custody or guardianship may be required. If the parent(s)’ and/or guardian(s)’ name(s) is/are different to those listed on these documents, evidence of legal name change is required.
- Identification of parent(s) and or guardian(s): Valid government issued photo I.D. (passport/driver’s license/military etc.)
- Personal appearance of parent(s)/guardian(s): If both parents are listed on the birth certificate they must appear at the appointment at the Embassy together and sign the passport application form in the presence of the Consular Officer. In the event that one parent is unable to attend, a notarized DS-3053 (PDF, 53 KB) consent form and a copy of the valid government issued photo identification which the non-appearing parent presents to the Notary is required. In Ireland, the consent form must be notarized by a notary listed on The Faculty of Notaries Public in Ireland. If the non appearing parent is in the United States, the consent form must be notarized by a qualified notary public. If the non appearing parent is residing outside of the U.S. or Ireland, the consent form must be notarized at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate in that country (this is a no-fee service). The DS-3053 must have been completed within 90 days of your child’s passport renewal appointment. One parent may submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply by submitting your child’s original birth certificate/Consular Report of Birth Abroad/Adoption Decree/Court Order (including translations if necessary) listing applying parent only. In the event that a parent listed on your child’s birth certificate has passed, an original death certificate of the deceased parent must be submitted.
- Pre-paid, self-addressed envelope for the return of your child’s passport: Please affix a €10.00 stamp to the envelope for the trackable return of your passport by Express Post. Envelope size A5 if possible. If you are renewing more than one family member’s passport at the same time, we can return up to two passports in one envelope (restricted to two passports due to weight).
- One 2″x 2″ U.S. passport size photo: photo must have clear white background, no shadows, no eye glasses to be worn. Irish passport sized photos not accepted, the U.S. sized photos are a larger size – 2 inches x 2 inches. You can find all passport photo requirements here.
- Click here for Passport Fees. No expedited service is available outside of the U.S., please do not submit the additional fee for this service. Personal checks are not accepted.
Security at the Embassy
DO NOT BRING ELECTRONICS TO YOUR U.S. EMBASSY APPOINTMENT. Please note that you cannot enter Embassy property with any electronics. This includes laptops, tablets, memory cards, flash drives, or other peripherals. If you have any of these items in your possession, you will be asked to find a place to store them away from the Embassy or to return on another day. The Embassy has small lockers which can accommodate a cell phone. No other electronics may be placed in these lockers.