An official website of the United States government

Renew a Child's Passport
March 2, 2022

Renewal of a child's passport under the age of 16

Minor children must appear at the Embassy in person with both parents. Each applicant must have their own appointment scheduled via our online appointment system.

Please bring the following to your appointment – parents: do not forget valid government issued photo I.D.:

  1. DS-11 Passport application form Complete, print and bring it to your appointment.  Do not sign form until the Consular Officer instructs you to do so at your appointment.  This form cannot be submitted onlineAlternatively, a printable PDF version is available here  (101KB), which you can print and fill out by hand.  Forms must be printed one sideddo not use correction fluid as this invalidates the application.  Please disregard the instructions on the form as they are for U.S. citizens applying to renew a passport within the United States.  Please only follow the instructions on this website.
    • If your child has previously been issued a Social Security Number (SSN) but you do not know the number, please contact the Federal Benefits Unit here to obtain your child’s SSN and acquire a new Social Security card. Please note that your child’s application cannot be processed until you have provided their SSN to the Embassy. To contact the Federal Benefit Unit, please complete their contact form.
    • If your child was never issued a U.S. social security number, you will be asked to sign an affidavit to this effect at the Embassy attesting to your child’s lack of an SSN. You can apply for your child’s social security number using SS-5 application form at your passport appointment.
  2. Proof of U.S. citizenship of your child: Full validity (five-year) U.S. passport; or original/certified copy of U.S. Birth Certificate; or U.S. Certification of Consular Report of Birth Abroad/ Certificate of citizenship / Certificate of naturalization
  3. Identification of parent(s) and or guardian(s): Valid government issued photo I.D. (passport/driver’s license/military etc.)
  4. Personal appearance of parent(s)/guardian(s):  In the event that one parent is unable to attend, an original notarized DS-3053  (PDF, 53 KB) consent form and with a copy of the valid government issued photo identification presented to the Notary is required. In Ireland, the consent form must be notarized by a notary listed on The Faculty of Notaries Public in Ireland .  If the non-appearing parent is in the United States, the consent form must be notarized by a qualified notary public. If the non-appearing parent is residing outside of the U.S. or Ireland, the consent form must be notarized at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate in that country (this is a no-fee service).  The DS-3053 must have been completed within 90 days of your child’s passport renewal appointment.
  5. Primary evidence of sole authority: to apply by submitting your child’s original birth certificate/ Adoption Decree/Court Order (including translations if necessary) listing applying parent only.  If a parent listed on your child’s birth certificate has passed, an original death certificate of the deceased parent must be submitted.
  6. One 2″x 2″ U.S. passport size photo (note this is different from the Irish passport photo size):  No glasses are permitted. Most large pharmacies in Ireland provide this service. Please check all passport photo requirements here.
  7. Click here for Passport Fees: Payable by card at your appointment. Both the physical signed card and card holder must be present. Cash is not accepted.
  8. Pre-paid, self-addressed envelope for the return of your passport:  Please affix a €10.00 stamp to an A5 envelope for the trackable return of your passport. If you are renewing more than one family member’s passport at the same time, we can return up to two passports in one envelope (restricted to two passports due to weight).

Security at the Embassy 

DO NOT BRING ELECTRONICS TO YOUR APPOINTMENT.  Please note that you cannot enter Embassy property with any electronics.  This includes laptops, tablets, memory cards, flash drives, or other peripherals.  If you have any of these items in your possession, you will be asked to find a place to store them away from the Embassy or to return on another day.  The Embassy has small lockers which can accommodate a cell phone.  No other electronics may be placed in these lockers.