Passport Renewal – Name Change by Marriage, Divorce, Registered Deed Poll or Irish Gender Recognition cert
For all name changes you will also need to change the name on your social security card. To do so please complete and sign an SS-5 application form and include it with your passport application. There is no charge for this service.
OPTION A: If your current passport is less than one year old, you may apply with a DS-5504 form (89.3KB). There is no fee for routine processing of your application.
OPTION B: If this is the first time you are renewing your passport after a name change, your most recent passport was valid for 10 years, and was issued within the last 15 years, please apply to change your name following the instructions for renewing your U.S. passport by mail.
OPTION C: If this is the first time you are renewing your passport after a name change and your most recent passport was valid for 5 year or issued over 15 years ago please complete the required form and schedule an appointment.
- With your application you must submit original documentary evidence of your legal change of name: such as an original marriage/civil partnership/divorce certificate, registered deed poll or Irish Gender Recognition Certificate. Only originals or certified copies will be accepted. All submitted documentation must be in English. Documents will be returned to you with your new passport.
OPTION D: If you do not have original documentary evidence of your legal change of name, please follow the instructions found on this page.
Should any further documentation be required it will be requested upon receipt of the application.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR OPTION A – Please submit the following by mail:
- DS-5504 passport application form – you can fill the form out electronically via the link, then please print, sign, and date the form. This form cannot be submitted online. Alternatively, a printable PDF version is available here (89.3KB) that you can print and fill out by hand. Forms must be printed one-sided. Do not use correction fluid as this invalidates the application. Please disregard the instructions on the form as they are for U.S. citizens applying to renew a passport within the United States. Please only follow the instructions on this website.
- SS-5 application form : (132KB) Social Security card application to change the name on the card. Please complete, print, sign, and submit this form with your application.
- Current valid U.S. passport: issued within the last 12 months.
- Original documentary evidence of your legal change of name: such as an original marriage/civil partnership/divorce certificate, registered deed poll or Irish Gender Recognition Certificate. Only originals or certified copies will be accepted. All submitted documentation must be in English. Documents will be returned to you with your new passport.
- Pre-paid, self-addressed envelope for the return of your passport: Please affix a €10.00 stamp to the envelope for the trackable return of your passport by Express Post – envelope size A5 if possible.
- One 2”x 2” U.S. passport-sized photo: photo must have clear, white background with no shadows and no eye glasses worn. Irish passport-sized photos not accepted; U.S. passport-sized photos are larger– 2 inches x 2 inches (5 cm x 5 cm). You can find all passport photo requirements here .
Please mail items listed above to the following address:
U.S. Embassy Dublin
American Citizen Services
42 Elgin Road
Once received, your application will take approximately 3-4 weeks to process.