Passport Renewal – Name Change without marriage, divorce or deed poll certificate
If you have changed your name through marriage, divorce, or registered deed poll, please check these instructions to see if you can renew your passport by mail.
If you have changed your name through any other means must apply in person at the U.S. Embassy Dublin. Each applicant must have their own appointment scheduled via our online appointment system. Please note: You will need to submit documentary evidence to support a change of name. Only originals or certified copies will be accepted. Documents presented must be in English.
- DS-11 Passport application form : Complete, print and bring it to your appointment. Do not sign form until the Consular Officer instructs you to do so at your appointment. This form cannot be submitted online. Alternatively, a printable PDF version is available here (101KB), which you can print and fill out by hand. Forms must be printed one sided, do not use correction fluid as this invalidates the application. Please disregard the instructions on the form as they are for U.S. citizens applying to renew a passport within the United States. Please only follow the instructions on this website.
- SS-5 application form: For all name changes you will also need to change the name on your social security card. Please complete, print, sign, and submit this form with your application.
- If you have previously been issued a Social Security Number (SSN) but do not know your number, please visit the Federal Benefits Unit website here to apply for a replacement Social Security card. Please note that your application cannot be processed until you have provided your SSN to the Embassy. To contact the Federal Benefit Unit, please complete their contact form.
- If you were never issued a U.S. social security number, you will be asked to sign an affidavit to this effect at the Embassy attesting to your lack of an SSN. You may be able to apply for your social security number using SS-5 application form at your passport appointment.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship: Your most recent U.S. passport.
- Supporting documents for change of name: Bring the original documentation that supports your name change. Please bring three pieces of valid government-issued photo identification in your new name (PPS card, U.S. or Irish driver’s license, foreign passport, etc.) showing that you can claim the new name by customary usage over a period of five years.
- Proof of Identity: valid government issued photo I.D. such as a valid U.S. or foreign passport, driver’s license, or military I.D.
- One 2″x 2″ U.S. passport size photo (note this is different from the Irish passport photo size): No glasses are permitted. Most large pharmacies in Ireland provide this service. Please check all passport photo requirements here.
- Click here for Passport Fees: Payable by card at your appointment. Both the physical signed card and card holder must be present. Cash is not accepted.
- Pre-paid, self-addressed envelope for the return of your passport: Please affix a €10.00 stamp to an A5 envelope for the trackable return of your passport. If you are renewing more than one family member’s passport at the same time, we can return up to two passports in one envelope (restricted to two passports due to weight).
Security at the Embassy
DO NOT BRING ELECTRONICS TO YOUR U.S. EMBASSY APPOINTMENT. Please note that you cannot enter Embassy property with any electronics. This includes laptops, tablets, memory cards, flash drives, or other peripherals. If you have any of these items in your possession, you will be asked to find a place to store them away from the Embassy or to return on another day. The Embassy has small lockers which can accommodate a mobile phone. No other electronics may be placed in these lockers.