An official website of the United States government

Name Change by Use
March 3, 2022

Passport Renewal – Name Change without marriage, divorce or deed poll certificate

If you have changed your name through marriage, divorce, or registered deed poll, please check these instructions to see if you can renew your passport by mail.

If you have changed your name through any other means you must use a DS-11 form for a new U.S. passport to be issued in your new name, and apply in person.  You must apply in person through a pre-arranged appointment at the U.S. Embassy Dublin and provide the required documentation listed below.  You must book an appointment via our online appointment system.  Please note:  You will need to submit documentary evidence to support a change of name.  Only originals or certified copies will be accepted.  Documents presented must be in English.

  1. DS-11 Passport application form: fill the form out electronically via the link, then print and bring it to your appointment. Do not sign form until the Consular Officer instructs you to do so at your appointment.  This form cannot be submitted online.  Alternatively, a printable PDF version is available here (101KB), which you can print and fill out by hand.  Forms must be printed one sideddo not use correction fluid as this invalidates the application.  Please disregard the instructions on the form as they are for U.S. citizens applying to renew a passport within the United States.  Please only follow the instructions on this website.  Effective October 1, 2016, a Social Security number (SSN) is required for all passport applications:
    • If you have previously been issued an SSN but cannot find your number, please complete and submit an SS-5 application form and bring it to your passport appointment.  You will receive a replacement social security card in the mail some weeks after your passport.
    • If you were never issued a U.S. social security number, and would like to apply for one, you must apply directly at the Embassy with the SS-5 application form. You may need to bring your original birth certificate.  You can contact the Federal Benefits Unit here.  Please note that a social security application and passport application can be submitted at the same passport appointment.
  2. Proof of U.S. citizenship: Your most recent U.S. passport.
  3. Supporting documents for change of name: Bring the original documentation that supports your name change.  Please bring three pieces of valid government-issued photo identification in your new name (PPS card, U.S. or Irish driver’s license, foreign passport, etc.) showing that you can claim the new name by customary usage over a period of five years.  You may wish to e-mail us for further clarification: ACSDublin@state.gov
  4. Proof of Identity: valid government issued photo I.D. such as a valid U.S. or foreign passport, driver’s license, or military I.D.
  5. One 2”x 2” U.S. passport-sized photo: photo must have clear, white background with no shadows.  No eye glasses may be worn in the photo.  Irish passport-sized photos not accepted, U.S.-sized photos are larger – 2 inches x 2 inches.  You can find all passport photo requirements here.
  6. Click here for Passport Fees – No expedited service is available outside of the United States; please do not submit the additional fee for this service. Personal checks are not accepted.
  7. Pre-paid, self-addressed envelope for the return of your passport:  Please affix a €10.00 stamp to the envelope for the trackable return of your passport by Express Post.  Envelope size A5 if possible.  If you are renewing more than one family member’s passport at the same time, we can return up to two passports in one envelope (restricted to two passports due to weight).
  8. For all name changes you will also need to change the name on your social security card. To do so please complete and sign an SS-5 application form and include it with your passport application.  There is no charge for this service.

Security at the Embassy 

DO NOT BRING ELECTRONICS TO YOUR U.S. EMBASSY APPOINTMENT.  Please note that you cannot enter Embassy property with any electronics.  This includes laptops, tablets, memory cards, flash drives, or other peripherals.  If you have any of these items in your possession, you will be asked to find a place to store them away from the Embassy or to return on another day.  The Embassy has small lockers which can accommodate a mobile phone.  No other electronics may be placed in these lockers.