You may renew your passport by mail if you meet all of the following requirements
To use the online payment system, you must also answer YES to all of the following
Your most recent U.S Passport:
- Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application; and
- Was issued within the last 15 years; and
- Was issued with 10 year validity; and
- Was issued in your current name or you have changed your name and can submit legal documentation (e.g. such as an original marriage/civil partnership/divorce certificate or registered deed poll) to prove this change; or
- Was a one year limited validity passport which has expired recently, and it was issued to you when you were 16 years or older.
If you do not meet all these requirements, you must apply in person. Please return to the main passport page for further information.
Standard Processing time for passport renewals is Four to Six weeks.
If you meet the above requirements to renew your passport by mail, you must submit the following
- Ensure to include all required documents. Incomplete applications cannot be processed and will be returned to sender.
- Include upcoming travel plans on the 2nd page of the DS-82 application form – this is critical if travel is within the next two weeks.
- DS-82 passport application form: you can fill the form out electronically via the link, then please print, sign and date the form. This form cannot be submitted online. Alternatively, a printable PDF version is available here (88.5KB), which you can print and fill out by hand. Forms must be printed one sided, do not use correction fluid as this invalidates the application. Please disregard the instructions on the form as they are for U.S. citizens applying to renew a passport within the United States. Please only follow the instructions on this website.
- Pre-paid, self-addressed envelope for the return of your passport: Please affix a €10.00 stamp to an A5 size envelope for the trackable return of your passport by Express Post.
- One 2″x 2″ U.S. passport size photo: photo must have clear white background, no shadows, no eye glasses to be worn. Irish passport sized photos not accepted, the U.S. sized photos are a larger size – 2 inches x 2 inches. You can find all passport photo requirements here.
- SS-5 Application Form– complete if you have but do not know your Social Security number OR you are changing your name on the passport
- SSN Affidavit – Complete if you have never been issued a Social Security Number. If you were born outside of the U.S., please include a SS-5 application form and your birth certificate to apply for a social security number. If you were born in the U.S. please contact the Federal Benefit Unit to apply for a social security number.
- Current or expiring passport: this passport will be cancelled and returned as long as it is not damaged.
- Please print and include this mail in passport renewal application checklist with your application.
- If you are changing your legal name through marriage, divorce or registered deed poll: you must submit original documentary evidence such as an original marriage or divorce certificate, or other satisfactory evidence to support a change of name. The divorce certificate must state that you are reverting to your maiden name. Documents presented must be in English. You may be requested to provide original government issued photo I.D. in your new name (PPS card, U.S. or Irish driver’s license, foreign passport, etc.). Should any further documentation be required it will be requested upon receipt of the application. For all name changes you will also need to change the name on your social security card. To do so please complete and sign an SS-5 application form and include it with your passport application. There is no charge for this service.
Payment can be made online by card/PayPal etc. or through the mail by postal order/bank draft
- To pay online: No expedited service is available outside of the U.S., please do not submit the additional fee for this service. From May 8th, 2022 you can pay online using the U.S. government’s secure payment site. Please note, this is for applications for passport books only. If you are applying for both a passport book and passport card, or only a passport card, you will need to use the alternative payment option below.
- In the name fields, please use your current legal name, even if it is different from the name that appears on your prior passport. If you are submitting a payment on behalf of another passport renewal applicant, please enter their name. All fields are required. This payment confirmation must be received for proof of payment.
- After successfully paying passport book the fee online: you must print out the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email and include it in the package you send to the U.S. Embassy Dublin.
- To pay by postal order or bank draft: No expedited service is available outside of the U.S., please do not submit the additional fee for this service. To pay by Euro bank draft/postal order please visit our passport fee page. Please submit your payment in the package you send to the U.S. Embassy Dublin.
- Personal checks/cash/dollar bank drafts are not accepted. Do not write on any part of your Euro bank draft/postal order other than the indicated area. This will render the payment null and void.
NB: If you wish to apply for a Passport Card payment for the passport card must be made by postal order or bank draft as per the fees on our passport fee page
Please mail items listed above to the following address:
U.S. Embassy Dublin
American Citizen Services
42 Elgin Road
Once we receive your application, it will take approximately 5-6 weeks to process.