Renewal of an adults' passport issued more than 15 years ago
Each applicant applying to renew a 10-year validity U.S. passport issued more than 15 years ago must apply in person. Each applicant must have their own appointment scheduled via our online appointment system
Please bring the following to your appointment – do not forget valid government issued photo I.D.:
- DS-11 Passport application form : Complete, print and bring it to your appointment. Do not sign form until the Consular Officer instructs you to do so at your appointment. This form cannot be submitted online. Alternatively, a printable PDF version is available here (101KB), which you can print and fill out by hand. Forms must be printed one sided, do not use correction fluid as this invalidates the application. Please disregard the instructions on the form as they are for U.S. citizens applying to renew a passport within the United States. Please only follow the instructions on this website. Please only follow the instructions on this website.
- If you have previously been issued a Social Security Number (SSN) but do not know your number, please visit the Federal Benefits Unit website here to apply for a replacement Social Security card. Please note that your application cannot be processed until you have provided your SSN to the Embassy. To contact the Federal Benefit Unit, please complete their contact form.
- If you were never issued a U.S. social security number, you will be asked to sign an affidavit to this effect at the Embassy attesting to your lack of an SSN. You can apply for your social security number using SS-5 application form at your passport appointment.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship: Your previous U.S. passport or original/certified copy of U.S. Birth Certificate; or U.S. Certification of Consular Report of Birth Abroad/ Certificate of citizenship / Certificate of naturalization.
- Proof of Identity: valid government issued photo I.D. a U.S or foreign passport, driver’s license, or military I.D.
- One 2″x 2″ U.S. passport size photo (note this is different from the Irish passport photo size): No glasses are permitted. Most large pharmacies in Ireland provide this service. Please check all passport photo requirements here.
- Click here for Passport Fees: Payable by card at your appointment. Both the physical signed card and card holder must be present. Cash is not accepted.
- Pre-paid, self-addressed envelope for the return of your passport: Please affix a €10.00 stamp to an A5 envelope for the trackable return of your passport. If you are renewing more than one family member’s passport at the same time, we can return up to two passports in one envelope (restricted to two passports due to weight).
- If you are changing your legal name: Please provide original documentary evidence such as a court order, marriage, divorce certificate, registered deed poll or Irish Gender Recognition Certificate. Only originals of these documents will be accepted.
Security at the Embassy
DO NOT BRING ELECTRONICS TO YOUR APPOINTMENT. Please note that you cannot enter Embassy property with any electronics. This includes laptops, tablets, memory cards, flash drives, or other peripherals. If you have any of these items in your possession, you will be asked to find a place to store them away from the Embassy or to return on another day. The Embassy has small lockers which can accommodate a cell phone. No other electronics may be placed in these lockers.