An official website of the United States government

Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship
July 6, 2023


If wish to renounce your U.S. citizenship, please carefully review the below information for guidance on how to initiate this process.  Please note, the renunciation process takes several weeks at a minimum to complete and can take longer.  Appointment wait times are much longer than normal and we do not expedite renunciation appointments. 

  • Renouncing your U.S. citizenship is a serious and an irrevocable action which deserves your thoughtful consideration.  It is imperative that you fully understand the nature of its consequences prior to requesting a Certificate of Loss of Nationality.  If you decide that this is the course of action you wish to pursue, there are several steps you need to take, including arranging an appointment to come into the U.S. Embassy to sign the Statement of Understanding, the Loss of Citizenship Questionnaire and/ or the Oath of Renunciation, in the presence of a consular officer.  Please note that the Statement of Understanding clearly states that the action you are taking is irrevocable.

Please note if you wish to renounce your U.S. Citizenship through the U.S. Embassy Dublin you must have a mailing address in the Republic of Ireland. 

Renunciation Process

Firstly, review the following legal considerations of renouncing U.S. citizenship.

  1. Download the Informational Packet (linked below) and thoroughly review Forms DS-4080, DS-4081, and DS-4083.
  2. Make a decision.  If you decide you do not want to renounce, no further action is required.  If you decide to proceed, continue with the following steps.
  3. Complete the forms in the Informational Packet and prepare the required documents (please see below).  Please note: the forms are non-binding and are used to gather information for the formal application.  You will sign the final application documents in front of a consular officer during your in-person interview.
  4. Return the completed the QuestionnaireRequest for Renunciation Appointment forms, Forms DS-4080, DS-4081, and DS-4083 and copies of the required evidence of citizenship documents by mail to U.S. Embassy Dublin, American Citizen Services, 42 Elgin Road, Dublin 4 or by email to ACSDublin@state.gov with subject line “Prospective Renunciant’s Documents: Last Name, First Name”.
  5. We will contact you to schedule a telephonic appointment to discuss the ramifications of renunciation and loss of nationality.  If you wish to proceed, we will schedule a final in-person appointment with a consular officer.  Original passports and evidence of citizenship are required at the time of the in-person interview.
  6. At that appointment, we will ask you to pay the USD $2,350 application fee, take the Oath of Renunciation, and sign the formally prepared Forms DS-4080, DS-4081, and DS-4083 in the presence of a consular officer.
  7. The renunciation application is sent the U.S. Department of State to process and make a final decision on your application.  Once the U.S. Department of State makes a final determination on the application, you will be notified and necessary written documentation will be provided to you.

Required Documents

  • Completed Informational Packet (PDF 288 KB)
  • Photocopies of required evidence of citizenship documents listed below


How did you obtain your U.S. Citizenship? Required Evidence of Citizenship Documents


Born in the United States U.S. birth certificate       Last issued U.S. passport               Foreign valid Passports(s)


Born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s) Consular report of birth abroad                             Last Issued U.S. passport Foreign valid passport (s)


Born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s) Certificate of Naturalization                 Last issued U.S. passport         Foreign valid passport(s)


Naturalized in the United States Certificate of Naturalization Last issued U.S. passport Foreign valid passport(s)

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I don’t want to renounce after reviewing the informational package?

No problem, there is no action required. Receiving the informational packet is not binding. After 6 months, we will shred your file. After those 6 months, if you change your mind again and chose to renounce, you must restart the process and request a new informational packet.

Can I renounce via mail or at the consular agency?

You cannot renounce by mail, through a consular agent, or while in the U.S. You must appear before a U.S. consular officer at the U.S. Embassy in Dublin and sign the oath of renunciation voluntarily and intentionally.

What privileges of my U.S. citizenship can I retain after I renounce?

A person seeking to renounce U.S. citizenship must renounce all the rights and privileges associated with such citizenship.  In the case of Colon v. U.S. Department of State, 2 F.Supp.2d 43 (1998), the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia rejected Colon’s petition for a writ of mandamus directing the Secretary of State to approve a Certificate of Loss of Nationality in the case because, despite his oath of renunciation, he wanted to retain the right to live in the United States while claiming he was not a U.S. citizen.

How long does the renunciation process take?

After your renunciation appointment where you sign the oath of renunciation in front of a consular officer, your application is sent to the U.S. Department of State for final approval. This process can take a few months and there is no ability to expedite your renunciation application.

Can I travel to the U.S. while my renunciation application is pending approval?

During the time between your renunciation appointment where you sign the oath of renunciation in front of a consular officer and the time when the U.S. Department of State approves your application, you are technically still a U.S. citizen. Therefore, if you decide to travel to the U.S. with your foreign passport to the U.S. during this period, you are in violation of U.S. law, which requires U.S. citizens to travel to the U.S. with a U.S. passport. (We strongly encourage you to plan accordingly.)

Can I travel to the U.S. after my renunciation is approved?

After your renunciation is approved and you are no longer a U.S. citizen, you need to be properly document to visit, live, work or study in the U.S. For instance, you need to show you are eligible for admission under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and have an approved Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). If you are found ineligible for the VWP, you must apply for a visa. If you have any visa ineligibilities, you could be barred from entering the U.S. and need to follow the legal process to obtain permission to enter the U.S. as any other foreigner.

Why do I need to provide my foreign passport(s)?

Unless you possess another foreign nationality, you may be rendered stateless after you renounce your U.S. citizenship. This means you would lack the protection of any government and you may not be entitled to a passport from any country, making it difficult for you to travel.

How are my tax and military obligations affected after I renounce?

Your renunciation may have no effect whatsoever on your U.S. tax or military service obligations (Please contact the Internal Revenue Service or U.S. Selective Service for more information).

Can I renounce if I do not have a social security number?

Yes. However, we strongly encourage you to obtain one before renouncing to meet any tax obligations. After your renunciation is approved and you are no longer a U.S. citizen, you may not qualify for a social security number and may adversely affect your ability to meet your tax obligations.

Can I still be legally prosecuted in the U.S. after I renounce?

Renouncing will not allow you to avoid prosecution for crimes committed in the U.S., or escape the repayment of financial obligations previously incurred in the U.S. or as a U.S. citizen abroad.

Can a minor child under the age of 18 renounce?

A minor child under the age of eighteen must convince the U.S. consular officer that he or she fully understands the nature and consequences of the oath of renunciation, is not subject to duress or undue influence, and is voluntarily and intentionally seeking to renounce his or her U.S. citizenship. (Historically, this has been very difficult to prove.) A minor child under the age of sixteen is presumed not to have the requisite maturity and knowing intent, making it even more difficult to renounce.

Can a parent renounce on my behalf?

Parents cannot renounce U.S. citizenship on behalf of their children.

How can I obtain a replacement of my certificate of loss if nationality?

Please visit Requesting a Life Event Record as a U.S. Citizen (state.gov).