An official website of the United States government

Replace a Passport with no immediate travel plans
March 3, 2022

Replace a Lost, Stolen or Damaged Passport with no immediate travel plans

Each applicant applying to replace a lost/stolen/damaged U.S. passport (adults and minors) must apply in person through a pre-arranged appointment at the U.S. Embassy Dublin and provide the required documentation listed below.  You must book an appointment via our online appointment system.  If you have immediate travel planned, please visit our Replace a Lost, Stolen or Damaged Passport with immediate travel webpage.

Please bring the following documentation to your appointment:

  1. DS-11 Passport application form: fill the form out electronically via the link, then print and bring it to your appointment. Do not sign form until the Consular Officer instructs you to do so at your appointment.  This form cannot be submitted online.  Alternatively, a printable PDF version is available here (101KB), which you can print and fill out by hand.  Forms must be printed one sideddo not use correction fluid as this invalidates the application.  Please disregard the instructions on the form as they are for U.S. citizens applying to renew a passport within the United States.  Please only follow the instructions on this website.  Effective October 1, 2016, a Social Security number (SSN) will be required for all passport applications:
    • If you have previously been issued an SSN but cannot find your number, please complete and submit an SS-5 application form and bring it to your passport appointment.  You will receive a replacement social security card in the mail some weeks after your passport.
    • If you were never issued a U.S. social security number, and would like to apply for one, you must apply directly at the Embassy with the SS-5 application form.  You may need to bring your original birth certificate.  You can contact the Federal Benefits Unit here.  Please note that a social security application and passport application can be submitted at the same passport appointment.
  2. DS-64 Statement regarding a lost or stolen U.S. Passport book(48KB)Please complete, print, and bring this form to your appointment – do not use correction fluid as this invalidates the form.  If your passport is damaged, this form is not required, however you will be required to write a statement at your Embassy appointment which details how your passport became damaged.
  3. A Police Report: detailing the loss or theft of the passport, if available.
  4. All available Identification: such as a birth certificate, driver’s license, photocopy of the missing passport if lost/stolen, or an expired U.S. passport.
  5. One 2″x 2″ U.S. passport size photo: photo must have clear white background, no shadows, no eye glasses to be worn.  Irish passport sized photos not accepted, the U.S. sized photos are a larger size – 2 inches x 2 inches.  You can find all passport photo requirements here.
  6. Pre-paid, self-addressed envelope for the return of your passport:  Please affix a €10.00 stamp to the envelope for the trackable return of your passport by Express Post.  Envelope size A5 if possible.  If you are renewing more than one family member’s passport at the same time, we can return up to two passports in one envelope (restricted to two passports due to weight).
  7. Click here for Passport FeesNo expedited service is available outside of the U.S., please do not submit the additional fee for this service.  Personal checks are not accepted.

To replace a minor (under 16 years of age) lost/stolen/damaged U.S. passport, please prepare and bring the required documentation listen on the Renewal of a child’s passport under age 16 webpage.  If the passport was lost/stolen, include the DS-64 statement (48KB), and a police report if the passport was stolen.

Security at the Embassy 

DO NOT BRING ELECTRONICS TO YOUR U.S. EMBASSY APPOINTMENT.  Please note that you cannot enter Embassy property with any electronics.  This includes laptops, tablets, memory cards, flash drives, or other peripherals.  If you have any of these items in your possession, you will be asked to find a place to store them away from the Embassy or to return on another day.  The Embassy has small lockers which can accommodate a cell phone.  No other electronics may be placed in these lockers.