An official website of the United States government

Notarial services are available for all nationalities by appointment


Notarial appointments at the U.S. Embassy in Dublin are opened four to six weeks in advance. Appointments must be scheduled through our online booking system and cannot be requested by email.


If there no appointments are available, please check back as when appointments are added or we receive cancelations they appointment will appear as available. Alternatively you may wish to consider completing your document with an Irish Notary Public, to find a Notary Public in Ireland, please visit the Faculty of Notaries Public in Ireland website here.


Hand signing documentNotarial services are for all nationalities and are by appointment only. Normally the document to be notarized is for use within the United States, although there may be exceptions. If you have multiple documents to be notarized, you should only make one appointment. You will pay $50 USD, at the Embassy or Consulate on your day of appointment, for each notary seal required.

Applicants with an urgent need for a notary service that we cannot accommodate may find the following information on potential alternatives to U.S. notarization helpful.



In case of:

  • A marriage affidavit:  Please contact the local authorities regarding the possibility of accepting an Irish notarial signature or a waiver.
  • A certified copy of a passport for IRS purpose: Please contact your tax advisor or IRS to check whether there is an alternative.
  • Any other documents (mortgage, claim, power of attorney, etc.): Based on the Hague Treaty entered into force for the United States on October 15, 1981, an option might be to have your signature notarized by an Irish notary public with an apostille affixed by the appropriate Irish authorities for recognition in the United States.  However, we advise you to check with the receiving party in the United States first to ascertain the apostille will be accepted.

Please note the authority requiring the notarized document determines what is acceptable for its use. The list above only provides suggestions and may not be feasible in a given case.

On the day of your appointment

  • Bring the complete, unsigned documents to be notarized. Even if there are pages that do not require signature or seals, you must present the entire packet.
  • Present a valid government-issued ID such as a passport or driver’s license. The name on the documents must be the same as the name on your ID.
  • Be of sound mind and understand the document you want notarized. Consular staff is not permitted to explain contents to you.
  • If your notary service requires a witness, you must arrange for your own witnesses. Consular staff cannot witness your documents.
  • Pay $50 USD per notary seal


Examples of Notarial Services Performed At No Charge

DS-3053: To notarize a DS-3053 Statement of Consent: Issuance of a U.S. Passport To a Minor Under Age 16 (PDF, 345K), please review the instructions listed on the form, the information fields that must be completed, and bring your original, valid, government-issued photo ID as well as a photocopy of both sides. As the U.S. Department of State requires that this form be notarized, this service is performed free of charge.Scales, Seal, Pen

Power of Attorney (in conjunction with U.S. passport applications): When both parents are unable to be personally present to apply for a minor’s U.S. passport, and they wish to designate a third party to do so, they may sign a power of attorney (POA) before a notary public. This POA must contain specific data fields; see a sample.  Note that photocopies of both sides of each parents’ original, valid, government-issued photo ID must be included with the POA. As the U.S. Department of State requires that this form be notarized, this service is performed free of charge.

At the Direct Request of a U.S. Municipal, State or Federal Entity

At the Direct Request of a Foreign Government

Types of Notaries

Acknowledgement: An acknowledgement of execution is used for legal agreements, deeds, powers of attorney, bills of sale, business documents, corporate acknowledgements, etc. for use in the United States.

A notarized acknowledgement signed by a consular officer for a current U.S. driver’s license can be provided for the purpose of applying for an Irish driver’s license.

Affidavit: An affidavit is a sworn statement made by you.  Compose the statement you wish to make, but do not sign the document until the Consular Officer can witness your signature at your notary appointment

Documents We Cannot Notarize

Documents We Cannot Notarize

Please note that we cannot authenticate U.S. official documents such as birth certificates, marriages certificate, divorce decrees, death certificates etc.  For more information please review the Authentication of U.S. State-issued Documents webpage.

Obtaining Vital Records (U.S. Birth/Marriage Certificates etc.)

The U.S. Embassy Dublin can’t obtain vital records on your behalf. Vital records include but are not limited to  a birth or marriage certificate, a certified copy of a divorce decree, etc.  In the U.S., state, county or city governments, depending on location, usually hold such records. Please follow the link to The National Center for Health Statistics for more information on obtaining vital records.

There are also fee-based on-line services to help obtain records:

  • Vitalchek.com (0800-255-2414), which allows you to request birth, death and marriage certifications online, by phone, or by fax.
  • usbirthcertificate.net can help you obtain or amend a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, in addition to obtaining a birth certificate.

Authenticating / Apostille of U.S. State-issued Documents

The process for authenticating a U.S. state-issued document for use abroad depends on whether the requesting country is party to the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents.  The Convention, to which both Ireland and the U.S. are party to, abolished the requirement of diplomatic and consular legalization of public documents originating in one Convention country intended for use in another Convention country.

To authenticate U.S. state-issued documents for use in Ireland and in other Hague countries:

Such documents include birth, death, and marriage certificates, documents executed before a U.S. notary public, and credentials bearing the seal of a college or university.

An authentication or Apostille (meaning ‘certification’) must be obtained from the Secretary of State for the U.S. state in which the documents were originally issued. Please be advised the U.S. Embassy does not have the authority to issue an Apostille or a letter of authentication.

Contact the Secretary of State in the state in which the state-issued document was issued for further information on the process involved.  For a list of Secretaries of State, please visit: http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act=authorities.details&aid=353

If you require an Apostille for use in a Non-Hague country: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/internl-judicial-asst/authentications-and-apostilles/office-of-authentications.html

Medallion Signature Guarantees

A consular officer cannot perform a Medallion Signature Guarantee (which is a special type of signature acknowledgement sometimes required for the exchange of securities).  While some financial institutions may accept a document notarized by a consular officer at the U.S. Embassy, in lieu of a medallion signature, we would advise you obtain confirmation from the financial institution prior to arranging a notary service appointment.

For more information on Medallion Signature Guarantee, see the Securities and Exchange Commission’s website.  General questions about Medallion Signature Guarantees should be directed to the SEC’s Office of Investor Education and Advocacy online at https://www.sec.gov/fast-answers, by phone at 1-800-SEC-0330, by fax at 202-772-9295, or by mail to 100 F Street, NE, Washington, D.C., 20549-0213.