As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Embassy to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth.  The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad Form FS-240 which is a United States citizenship document.

In order to register your child (under age 18) as a U.S. citizen, the U.S. citizen parent(s) must meet certain physical presence in the United States requirements.   Physical presence is counted as the time the U.S. citizen parent(s) was physically within the borders of the United States or its outlying possessions prior to the birth of the child.

Please click Next Consular Report of Birth Abroad link below to carefully review our Consular Report of Birth Abroad webpage, and to navigate to our online appointment system and learn more about what to bring to your Embassy appointment.