Citizenship Services

Important Information Regarding ACS Appointments:

The COVID-19 pandemic continues to adversely impact Embassy Dublin’s ability to provide routine, U.S. citizen services. To comply with restrictions under the Government of Ireland’s Living with COVID-19 plan and to protect the health and safety of our customers and employees, the U.S. Embassy in Dublin is offering only limited American Citizen Services at this time; we are not currently offering Renunciation services.

We continue to process mail-in renewal passport applications and strongly encourage eligible U.S. citizens to renew their U.S. passport by mail, as we cannot currently offer routine, in-person appointments to applicants eligible to renew by mail. Please note U.S. passports can be renewed any time before or after they expire, and a U.S. passport is valid for travel to the United States until the day it expires. Further details on applying for a U.S. passport are available via the Passport & Citizenship links below.

While we endeavor to continue to provide the highest quality customer service, our capacity to provide routine services remains limited at this time. We appreciate your understanding.

For further updates, please check this website regularly.

If you reside in Northern Ireland, please refer to the U.S. Consulate General in Belfast for further information.

Travel to and from the United States: According to Section 215 of the U.S Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185)  U.S. citizens must enter and leave the United States on a U.S. passport. This applies to dual citizens as well, meaning that persons holding e.g. both Irish and U.S. citizenship MUST enter and leave the United States on a valid U.S. passport; they may NOT enter/leave the United States on an Irish/foreign passport. This applies to children as well as adults.

What Service Do You Require?

In order to register your child (under age 18) as a U.S. citizen, the U.S. citizen parent(s) must meet certain physical presence in the United States requirements.   Physical presence is counted as the time the U.S. citizen parent(s) was actually physically within the borders of the United States or its outlying possessions prior to the birth of the child.  You will need to book an appointment via our online appointment system, and apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), U.S. passport and Social Security number for your child.  All three applications are accepted in the same CRBA appointment.  Please carefully review our Report of Birth Abroad webpage for more information.

If you are aged 18 or over, and have never been documented as a U.S. citizen by your parent(s), you must apply for your first U.S. passport in person through a pre-arranged appointment at the U.S. Embassy Dublin and provide the required documentation listed below.  You must book an appointment via our online appointment system and bring all of the required documentation listed on our First-Time Passport Applicants – Over the age of 18 webpage.  You are required to make the appointment under the selection of “Report the birth abroad of a child of a U.S. citizen and/or apply for the child’s first passport,  Report of Birth and Social Security Number.”

A child under age 18 who has a U.S. citizen grandparent who meets the physical presence requirements may qualify for a process called “expeditious naturalization” under the Immigration and Nationality Act.  Although not entitled to U.S. citizenship at birth, the child can, through this process, become a U.S. citizen by naturalization without first having to take up residence in the United States.  It is, however, necessary for the child to travel to the United States for the naturalization, and all applications and documentation must be submitted and approved beforehand.  This procedure must be done through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and is not handled by the U.S. Embassy Dublin.  The process can take from six months to a year or more.

For more information please visit our Expeditious Naturalization webpage.

Renouncing your U.S. citizenship is a serious and an irrevocable action which deserves your thoughtful consideration.  It is imperative that you fully understand the nature of its consequences prior to requesting a Certificate of Loss of Nationality.  If you decide that this is the course of action you wish to pursue, there are several steps you need to take, including arranging an appointment to come into the U.S. Embassy to sign the Statement of Understanding, the Loss of Citizenship Questionnaire and/ or the Oath of Renunciation, in the presence of a consular officer.  Please note that the Statement of Understanding clearly states that the action you are taking is irrevocable.