Working/Retiring in Ireland

The information contained in this section is provided for US citizens living in Ireland or considering long term residency. We also recommend visiting the Irish website that contains valuable information for all public services and entitlements in Ireland.

Any Non-EEA National who wishes to work in Ireland must have a permit issued by the Department of Jobs, Enterprise & Innovation, Davitt House, 65A Adelaide Road, Dublin 2. Tel: 353-1-417-5333, LoCall: 1890-201-616. E-Mail:, Website: 

Certain categories of persons may not require a work permit. We strongly recommend that persons who believe they may be exempt from obtaining a work permit contact INIS- Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service, 13/14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2, tel: +353-1-666-9100, prior to arriving in Ireland to confirm their exemption and to verify what paperwork will be required so as to secure this exemption. contact e-mail addresses are listed here.

U.S. citizens moving to Ireland to work here, please note that your salary cannot be paid into your U.S. bank account.  You must open a local bank account as soon as possible when you arrive in Ireland, and also apply for your Personal Public Service number (PPS)- you can find more information on the Department of Social Protection welfare website here.

The Irish Naturalization and Immigration Service (INIS) provides information regarding entry requirements to Ireland, visas, and all other immigration matters for Ireland.

We have received feedback from other U.S. citizens passing through Irish Immigration that they have been asked to provide proof of their ability to finance their stay in Ireland, particularly when intending to stay for a long period of time (1 to 2 months).  You may wish to keep documentation relating to your proof of funds in your hand luggage for this purpose.

Please be advised that the Irish Naturalization and Immigration Service (INIS) recently launched an online appointment service for customers seeking re-entry visas for Ireland. This new service will allow customers seeking re-entry visas to book online appointments at a time that suits them before departing Ireland, at the re-entry Visa Public Office at Burgh Quay, Dublin 2. You can make an appointment via this link: For more information, please visit the INIS website here.

The Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) has introduced a preclearance procedure, for both visa required and non-visa required nationals, as part of the new immigration schemes for ‘Minister of Religion Permission’ and ‘Volunteering in Ireland’ . These new schemes will apply to all applicants with effect from 30 April 2018.   Extensive information and requirements can be found on the INIS website here:

For information on immigration permission to complete volunteer work in Ireland, please contact the Irish Embassy in Washington, DC, the closest Irish consulate in the United States:, or visit the Irish Immigration website:

Recent changes to Irish Immigration law directly affect U.S. citizens who are planning to retire to Ireland. After arriving in Ireland, you must have permission to remain if you wish to stay for more than 3 months. You must be able to prove to the Irish Naturalization and Immigration Service (INIS) that you have sufficient resources to support yourself and obtain permission to remain by registering with your local immigration registration officer following your arrival in Ireland. You must be in a position to show that you have sufficient resources to cover your stay in Ireland without recourse to public funds, services or Irish State benefits.  You should also have private medical insurance to cover your stay in Ireland. You must report to your local Immigration Officer with details of your future intentions and sufficient evidence of the above.

INIS advises the following as an eligibility requirement:

Persons of Independent Means 
For persons of independent means, the financial threshold is generally considered to be €50,000 per person per annum, plus the person must have access to a lump sum of money to cover any unforeseen major expenses.  This should be equivalent to, for example, the price of a dwelling in the State.  Financial documentation should be presented in tabular form and converted into Euros, clearly showing all income and expenditure on a monthly basis.  This must be certified by an Irish accountancy firm who have the expert knowledge to interpret the format of the overseas banking / accountancy documentation.  Each application is dealt with on a case by case basis.


If you are refused permission to remain in Ireland you will be informed of the reasons for this and given the opportunity to leave the State voluntarily within a specified period. Failure to depart voluntarily may result in you being subject to deportation.

Please note that Because Irish Immigration is solely responsible for decisions concerning entry requirements for Ireland, the U.S. Embassy cannot advise on entry and procedural requirements on its behalf. Please keep in mind that the American Citizen Services Unit cannot provide assistance for private matters concerning U.S. citizens’ retirement plans in Ireland.

Helpful websites:

If you wish to seek legal advice in Ireland, you can find a list of attorneys by region in Ireland on our website here: