Each applicant applying for their first U.S. passport after the age of 16 must apply in person at the U.S. Embassy Dublin and provide the required documentation listed below. Minors aged 16-17 years old with their own identification can apply for a passport with at least one parent accompanying them to their appointment. The parent(s) must identify him/her and sign their application to demonstrate parental consent, and provide valid government issued photo I.D. You must book an appointment via our online appointment system.
Please bring the following documentation to your appointment – do not forget valid government issued photo I.D.:
- DS-11 Passport application form: fill the form out electronically via the link, then print and bring it to your appointment. Do not sign form until the Consular Officer instructs you to do so at your appointment. This form cannot be submitted online. Alternatively, a printable PDF version is available here (101KB), which you can print and fill out by hand. Forms must be printed one sided, do not use correction fluid as this invalidates the application. Please disregard the instructions on the form as they are for U.S. citizens applying to renew a passport within the United States. Please only follow the instructions on this website. Effective October 1, 2016, a Social Security number (SSN) will be required for all passport applications:
- If you have previously been issued an SSN but cannot find your number, please complete and submit an SS-5 application form and bring it to your passport appointment. You will receive a replacement social security card in the mail some weeks after your passport.
- If you were never issued a U.S. social security number, and would like to apply for one, you must apply directly at the Embassy with the SS-5 application form. You may need to bring your original birth certificate. You can contact the Federal Benefits Unit here or find more information here. Please note that a social security application and passport application can be submitted at the same passport appointment.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship: Your previous U.S. passport or original/certified copy of U.S. Birth Certificate; or U.S. Certification of Consular Report of Birth Abroad/ Certificate of citizenship / Certificate of naturalization.
- If the applicant is 16 or 17 years of age, please bring their original U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Birth Certificate, and one parent must accompany them and have valid government issued photo identification.
- Proof of Identity: valid government issued photo I.D. such as a valid U.S. or foreign passport, driver’s license or military I.D. A U.S. passport will meet this requirement if it is not expired.
- One 2″x 2″ U.S. passport size photo: photo must have clear white background, no shadows, no eye glasses to be worn. Irish passport sized photos not accepted, the U.S. sized photos are a larger size – 2 inches x 2 inches. You can find all passport photo requirements here.
- Click here for Passport Fees. No expedited service is available outside of the U.S., please do not submit the additional fee for this service. Personal checks are not accepted.
- Pre-paid, self-addressed envelope for the return of your passport: Please affix a €10.00 stamp to the envelope for the trackable return of your passport by Express Post. Envelope size A5 if possible. If you are renewing more than one family member’s passport at the same time, we can return up to two passports in one envelope (restricted to two passports due to weight).
- If your appearance has significantly changed since your last passport was issued (for example if their previous passport was issued when you were a baby) we require photographs showing sufficient identity to match your previously issued U.S. passport photo to your current photograph. Please bring these progression photographs to your passport appointment. The Embassy will not retain these photographs, they will be returned to you.
- If you are changing your legal name: Please provide original documentary evidence such as a court order, marriage, divorce certificate, or other satisfactory evidence to support a change of name. Only originals of these documents will be accepted.
Security at the Embassy
DO NOT BRING ELECTRONICS TO YOUR U.S. EMBASSY APPOINTMENT. Please note that you cannot enter Embassy property with any electronics. This includes laptops, tablets, memory cards, flash drives, or other peripherals. If you have any of these items in your possession, you will be asked find a place to store them away from the Embassy or to return on another day. The Embassy has small lockers which can accommodate a cell phone. No other electronics may be placed in these lockers.