You may renew your passport by mail if you meet all of the following requirements:
Your most recent U.S Passport:
- Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application; and
- Was issued within the last 15 years; and
- Was issued with 10 year validity; and
- Was issued in your current name or you have changed your name and can submit legal documentation (e.g. such as an original marriage/civil partnership/divorce certificate or registered deed poll) to prove this change; or
- Was a one year limited validity passport which has expired recently, and it was issued to you when you were 16 years or older.
If you do not meet all these requirements, you must apply in person. Please return to the main passport page for further information.
If you meet the above requirements to renew your passport by mail, you must submit all of the following:
- DS-82 passport application form: you can fill the form out electronically via the link, then please print, sign and date the form. This form cannot be submitted online. Alternatively, a printable PDF version is available here (88.5KB), which you can print and fill out by hand. Forms must be printed one sided, do not use correction fluid as this invalidates the application. Please disregard the instructions on the form as they are for U.S. citizens applying to renew a passport within the United States. Please only follow the instructions on this website. Effective October 1, 2016, a Social Security number (SSN) will be required for all passport applications:
- If you have previously been issued an SSN but cannot find your number, please complete and submit an SS-5 application form with your mail in passport application. You will receive a replacement social security card in the mail some weeks after your passport.
- If you were never issued a U.S. social security number, and would like to apply for one, you must apply directly at the Embassy. Please contact the Federal Benefits Unit here. Please note that a social security application and passport application can be submitted at the same passport appointment.
- Pre-paid, self-addressed envelope for the return of your passport: Please affix a €10.00 stamp to the envelope for the trackable return of your passport by Express Post. Envelope size A5 if possible.
- One 2″x 2″ U.S. passport size photo: photo must have clear white background, no shadows, no eye glasses to be worn. Irish passport sized photos not accepted, the U.S. sized photos are a larger size – 2 inches x 2 inches. You can find all passport photo requirements here.
- Click here for Passport Fees. No expedited service is available outside of the U.S., please do not submit the additional fee for this service. Personal checks/cash/dollar bank drafts are not accepted. Do not write on any part of your Euro bank draft/postal order other than the indicated area. This will render the payment null and void.
- Current or expiring passport: this passport will be cancelled and returned as long as it is not damaged.
- Please print and include this mail in passport renewal application checklist with your application.
- If you are changing your legal name through marriage, divorce or registered deed poll: submit original documentary evidence such as an original marriage or divorce certificate, or other satisfactory evidence to support a change of name. The divorce certificate must state that you are reverting to your maiden name. Documents presented must be in English. You may be requested to provide original government issued photo I.D. in your new name (PPS card, U.S. or Irish driver’s license, foreign passport, etc.) Should any further documentation be required it will be requested upon receipt of the application. For all name changes you will also need to change the name on your social security card. To do so please complete and sign an SS-5 application form and include it with your passport application. There is no charge for this service.
Please mail items listed above to the following address:
U.S. Embassy Dublin
American Citizen Services
42 Elgin Road
Once we receive your application, it will take approximately 3-4 weeks to process.
If you are attending an appoint in person (by scheduling an appointment online here) please review the following security information:
DO NOT BRING ELECTRONICS TO YOUR U.S. EMBASSY APPOINTMENT. Please note that you cannot enter Embassy property with any electronics. This includes laptops, tablets, memory cards, flash drives, or other peripherals. If you have any of these items in your possession, you will be asked find a place to store them away from the Embassy or to return on another day. The Embassy has small lockers which can accommodate a cell phone. No other electronics may be placed in these lockers.