Proof of Residence Outside The United States

The text on this page relates to documentation required when requesting a Social Security Number (SSN) for yourself or your child over the age of 12 years. If you were looking for our set of FAQs on this subject then please click here.

It is very rare for someone who was born in the U.S. not to have been assigned a Social Security Number. The most common reason for such an occurrence is a child born in the U.S. who moved abroad while very young.

You must submit documentation to prove the allegation of absence from the U.S. as the reason a Social Security Number was never assigned. The documentation must be comprehensive and date from the time the person departed the U.S. to the present to provide sufficient evidence.

The documentation can include:

  • school records such as report cards or a letter from the school confirming dates of attendance
  • travel documents such as current or canceled passports (U.S. or other)
  • employment records
  • medical records
  • proof of registration with a doctor or clinic
  • If you reside or have resided in The Netherlands, you can obtain proof of your residence from your local town hall and submit it as part of your proof of residence outside the United States. Detailed information can be found on the town or city website.

All evidence submitted must be original documents, photocopies are not acceptable.