An official website of the United States government

November 22, 2023

Individual driving records are maintained by the Department of Motor Vehicles in the individual states.  As a federal U.S. government agency, the U.S. Department of State does not maintain these records, nor is our office able to access them.

If you have lost your U.S. driver’s license, or require a copy of your driving record, the U.S. Consulates are unable to assist. U.S. citizens abroad will need to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent) in the State their driver’s license was issued for assistance with driver’s records, license renewals, or documentation to obtain an Australian driver’s license.

If planning to hire or drive a vehicle abroad using a U.S. driver’s license, individuals will need to obtain an International Drivers Permit (IDP) in addition to their driver’s license. Generally, an IDP must be obtained in the United States prior to departure. For further information on IDP’s and issuing agencies, please see the Department of State’s information.

Additional Resources