Non-Immigrant Visa FAQs

  1. Non-Immigrant Visa FAQs
  2. Immigrant Visa FAQs

Have a question about U.S. visas? Please take the time to review the information on our website together with the following most frequently asked questions.

If you are traveling to the United States on holiday, for tourism or medical treatment, and you are not eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program, you are required to apply for a B-2 visa. If travel is for a reason other than that stated, click here for further information.

This Visa Wizard is a guide to help foreign citizens understand which visa category might be appropriate for their travel to the United States. Please click here.

Applicants aged 14 to 79 are required to apply for the visa through a pre-arranged appointment.  Children 13 and under and adults 80 and over may be eligible to apply for a visa by courier.  Further information is available by visiting and following the instructions.Appointments cannot be scheduled by email.

If you have ever been arrested and/or convicted or cautioned of an offense anywhere in the world, we recommend that you apply for a visa before traveling to the United States.

The recommendation that you apply for a visa also applies if you have held a valid visa and that visa has now expired.

We do not pre-adjudicate visa applications and, therefore, cannot advise you on the likely outcome of your application.  The only way in which to determine your eligibility for a visa is to apply.  We regret that we will not respond to individual questions about an individual’s eligibility for a visa.

If the passport in which your visa has been endorsed has expired, the visa in the old passport can still be used provided you are traveling for the same purpose as when the visa was issued and you also carry a valid passport of the same nationality. If, however, the passport authority clipped the corners of the passport when canceling it and, in so doing, damaged the visa in any way, that visa is no longer valid and cannot be used for travel to the United States.  A change of name will not affect the validity of the visa.  We recommend that when traveling, you carry a copy of the document showing the name change.

Please note that a B-1/B-2 visa that is valid “indefinitely” is no longer valid for travel to the United States.  You are required to either travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program, if qualified, or apply for a new visa.

If you will transit through the United States, even if only for a couple of hours, you may be eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.  If not, you may be eligible to apply for a transit (C-1) or tourist (B-2) visa.  Please see our website for further information.

The requirement that a passport is valid for six months beyond the holder’s stay in the United States is waived in the case of a Irish Citizen passport holder.  Provided your passport is valid for the duration of your visit, you may submit it in support of your visa application and travel to the United States.

It is also waived for many other nationalities, download the 9 FAM 41.104 Exhibit I PDF (PDF – 92kb) for further information.

If you are traveling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program and your passport is not valid for 90 days, you will be admitted until the date on which the passport expires.

Qualified Visa Waiver Program travelers who are entering the United States by air or sea carrier are required to register under the Electronic System for Travel Authorization.  It is important to note that there is only one official U.S. government website, which is:  The fee for registering under ESTA is $14.00.  If you are asked to pay more, you are not on the official website. From April 1, 2016 all travelers under the Visa Waiver Program require a valid e-passport to travel.

Please note that if you hold a valid U.S. visa, you are not required to register under ESTA.

If you believe that your registration under ESTA has been denied because you answered a question(s) incorrectly, you may contact U.S. Customs and Border Protection.  Contact details are available from

For a list of the most frequently asked questions concerning ESTA, click here.

Unlike some countries, the United States government does not issue work visas for casual employment. In general, work visas are based on a specific job offer.

If you are seeking employment for a temporary period there are several categories of visa that may be applicable to you.

Exchange visitor (J-1) – required for summer employment programs, intern programs for university students, and au-pair programs.

Temporary work (H-2) – required for temporary skilled and unskilled employment for which there is a shortage of U.S. workers

Temporary work (H-1) – required to perform services in a prearranged professional job for a U.S. employer.

Please take the time to review the DS-160 FAQ page. You are required to complete the form to the best of your ability. We cannot assist you or provide individual guidance.

Please note:

  • If you make an error when completing the DS-160 you are required to correct it. If the form has been transmitted, you are required to complete a new one;
  • If you cannot remember specific dates, you may give approximate dates;
  • If there is insufficient space to enter all of your information, it may be added on a separate sheet of paper and submitted with your application;
  • The site does experience intermittent connectivity issues. If you experience such difficulties we recommend that you try accessing the website at another time and or a different computer;
  • If you experience issues with uploading a photograph, you may bring the photograph to the visa interview.

EVUS is administered by the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection.  You will find the information you require by visiting their website here.

If your inquiry remains unanswered, please contact us through our contact form.