Study & Exchange

In general, applicants wishing to study in the United States require student (F-1 or M-1) visas depending on whether the study is academic or vocational.

Students taking part in an exchange program, and those wishing to take up prearranged employment, training, or research in the United States under an officially approved program sponsored by an educational or other nonprofit institution, require exchange visitor (J-1) visas.

If your spouse, partner and/or children under the age of 21 wish to accompany or join you for the duration of your stay, they may be eligible to apply for derivative visas. Click here for more information.

Legal Rights & Protections

The Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Act relates to the legal rights of employment-based non immigrants under federal immigration, labor, and employment laws. As a temporary visitor to the United States, it is important that you are aware of your rights, as well as protections and resources available when you come to work or study there. We ask therefore, that you review this information before attending your visa interview (PDF 2.4MB).