Location: Leinster and Munster provinces, Republic of Ireland
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Dublin, Ireland cautions U.S. citizens that severe winter weather caused by Storm Emma is expected to cause heavy snowfall and transportation disruptions on Thursday and Friday, particularly in eastern and southern parts of the Republic of Ireland. The Irish Meterological Service (Met Éireann) issued a red weather warning for the provinces of Munster and Leinster on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 11:00. Met Éireann warns of the potential for blizzard-like conditions on Thursday evening and Friday morning that are likely to produce significant snow drifts in many areas.
Irish authorities have closed schools of all levels in these provinces on Thursday, March 1, and Friday, March 2, 2018 in advance of the snowfall. Additionally, there will be no Bus Éireann or Dublin Bus services available on Thursday, March 1, 2018. The U.S. Embassy in Dublin will be closed on Thursday, March 1, and Friday, March 2, 2018.
All U.S. citizens living in or traveling to the area should monitor local weather reports, the Irish Meterological Service website https://www.met.ie, follow directions from local officials, and take other appropriate actions as needed.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country-Specific Information Sheet for Ireland.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ireland, located at 42 Elgin Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, at +353 (1) 668-8777, after hours emergency number +353 (1) 668-8777, or by e-mail at ACSDublin@state.gov, or visit the Embassy website at https://ie.usembassy.gov/.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.