Consular Report of Birth Abroad Application (CRBA)
Complete the eCRBA Application: Found on mytravel.state.gov .
Bring with you to the appointment the following:
- Original Birth certificate: must show parents’ names. If the parent(s)’ and/or guardian(s)’ name(s) is/a different to those listed on these documents, evidence of legal name change is required. If the birth certificate is in a language other than English, a certified translation must be provided.
- Marriage/Divorce Certificates (if applicable): original certificates issued by local, state, or national government authorities. If your certificates are in a language other than English, a certified translation must be provided.
- Evidence of Parents’ Citizenship and Identity: Evidence of U.S. citizenship (e.g. US passport, Naturalization Certificate) must have been issued prior to the birth of your child. Additionally, a current, valid U.S. (or foreign) passports/government issued I.D. is required for both parents at time of application.
- Proof of Physical Presence in the United States: – The U.S. citizen parent must bring documentary evidence of their physical presence in the U.S. prior to the birth of the child and how they obtained U.S. citizenship prior to the birth of the child.
- Check the that apply to your case. You must provide at least enough evidence of physical presence in the U.S. to meet the minimum transmission requirements for your case. In most cases, proof of physical presence is not required for every prior U.S. address.
- IMPORTANT: All documents that will be presented at the appointment must be uploaded into the eCRBA application. Do not submit the case until all documents are uploaded as you will not be able to add additional documents after submission.
- Pre-paid, self-addressed A4 envelope for the return of your child’s CRBA and, if applicable, passport: Please affix a €10.00 stamp to the envelope for the trackable return of your passport by Express Post. Envelope must be size A4 (to fit the CRBA). If you are applying for more than one family member’s passport at the same time, we can return up to two passports in one envelope (restricted to two passports due to weight).
- DS-11 Passport application form : fill the form out electronically via the link, then print and bring it to your appointment. Do not sign form until the Consular Officer instructs you to do so at your appointment. This form cannot be submitted online. Alternatively, a printable PDF version is available here (101KB), which you can print and fill out by hand. Forms must be printed one sided, do not use correction fluid as this invalidates the application. Please disregard the instructions on the form as they are for U.S. citizens applying to renew a passport within the United States. Please only follow the instructions on this website.
- One 2″x 2″ U.S. passport size photo: photo must have clear white background, no shadows, no eyeglasses to be worn. Irish passport sized photos not accepted; the U.S. sized photos are a larger size – 2 inches x 2 inches. You can find all passport photo requirements here .
- Fees: Passport fee can be found on our Passport/Citizenship Fee Page. Payable by card at your appointment, both the physical signed card and card holder must be present.
- Original Birth certificate: must show parents’ names and translations if necessary. If the parent(s)’ and/or guardian(s)’ name(s) is/are different to those listed on these documents, evidence of legal name change is required.
- Evidence of Parents’ Identity: Passport, Foreign Passport or Driver’s License.
Social Security Application
- SS-5 application form: (132KB) Social Security application, signed by one U.S. citizen parent. Please complete, print, and bring this form to your appointment.
- Social Security Cards will be received four to six weeks after the CRBA and passport.